Sotheby’s in Amsterdam is looking for a Office Manager & Management Assistant for 40 hours per week | Vacancy for a Paid position, Full-time | Deadline: 04-12-2023
Established in 1744, Sotheby’s is the world’s premier destination for art and luxury. Synonymous with innovation, Sotheby’s promotes access, connoisseurship and preservation of fine art and rare objects through auctions, private sales and retail locations. Our trusted global marketplace is supported by a network of specialists spanning 40 countries and 50 categories, which include Contemporary Art, Modern and Impressionist Art, Old Masters, Chinese Works of Art, Jewelry, Watches, Wine and Spirits, and Interiors, among many others.
Office Manager & Management Assistant
40 hours per week
We are looking for a highly motivated, proactive, and productive Office Manager and Management Assistant with impeccable organizational skills to provide mature, discrete, and professional assistance. As a full and active member of the Amsterdam team your emphasis is on the day-to-day running of the office and to facilitate that the office runs efficiently and smoothly as supporting directly our Managing Director. You are responsible for telephone and mail contact and organising all administrative activities. You must make sure relevant records are up to date and that all administration processes work effectively. Your main tasks include marketing, business development assistance, coordination of events and press. We are looking for someone who is an organized and highly motivated team player interested in the Auction House environment and providing high-level support.
1. Office Management and general administration of the office
- Answer and direct incoming and outgoing communication (phone calls, e-mail (general inbox) and mail and packages);
- Greet and direct clients and other visitors in local office and take in consignments for various locations (label and enter correct information in SAP);
- In charge of all administrative procedures linked to consignments destined for auction, marketplace, selling exhibition and private sale generated by the sourcing office, including but not limited to:
- New client account set-up.
- Liaise with selling office to generate contract and provide consignors explanations.
- Register client’s payment instructions and do any necessary verbal verification.
- Compliance checks and ID verification of consignors.
- Complete all local seller, buyer and vendors diligence checks.
- Maintain accurate list of ongoing consignments, liaise with the selling office on sale dates, lot numbers, reserve prices and ensure sellers are informed of all steps. When applicable ensure communication with IC recipients.
- Monitor payments dates and inform seller of any delays. Make sure the sale proceeds arrive on time with seller and that all payments details are accurate.
- In charge of and point of contact for interns;
- Assist as needed with third-party services as restorers, external experts and photographers;
- Maintain office- and kitchen supplies and other equipment and doing annual checks;
- Opening and closing the office and in charge of building-relating matters (i.e. with tenants);
- Maintain a professional, organized and clean work environment;
- Other duties as assigned by management to assist in the operation of the office.
2. Management assistant
- Preparing and scheduling meetings and take minutes, scheduling and organizing appointments, following-up on actions and decisions.
- Administrative tasks for management (i.e. expenses, client lists, valuations)
- Assisting the Managing Director with development of PR for the Amsterdam office and responding to media inquiries
3. Business Development, Marketing, Press and Events
- Solid event management skills with the ability to effectively plan and prioritize the organisation of events and selling exhibitions and promotion of local events;
- Work on and develop accurate clients lists for mailings, short- and long-term business and client target lists and guest lists for events;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with our international marketing department and work on marketing and events in collaboration with them and ensure timely and successful delivery of all marketing, Newsletters, social media, website;
- Organise sweeps with visiting experts;
- Keep weekly track of pipeline business lists, consignments lists and clients wish-lists;
- Keep information on clients in our system up to date;
- First press-contact internally and externally and with close collaboration with the London Press office with Dutch related matters;
- Make and distribute press releases and compiling media mailings lists.
Skills / Competencies / Experience
- You have at least 2-3 years of proven experience in as an office manager or in a similar position (HBO level);
- Good organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks with speed, detail oriented and efficiency with proven ability of meeting deadlines;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral, and a commitment to an exemplary level of client service;
- Team player with a positive working rapport with colleagues across many departments and locations;
- Fluency in written and spoken Dutch and English;
- Enthusiastic and calm under pressure, with a common-sense approach and willingness to have a go at anything with strong teamwork ethic;
- Experience with dealing and passion for art;
- Creative problem-solving ability;
- Advanced user of Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint and knowledge of SAP and CRM system is a preference;
- Driving licence B.
Contact Harriet Troddan, Human Resource Manager, Harriet.Troddan@sothebys.com, +44 20 7293 52 38
Please do not make use of this advertisement for acquisition purposes.
More information about the organisation: see our website.