World Press Photo in Amsterdam is looking for an Intern Communications Team for 32-40 hours per week | Vacancy for a Learning opportunity, Internship | Deadline: 11-06-2023
Can you help bring attention to some of the world’s most important stories and images?
The World Press Photo Foundation believes in the power of showing, and the importance of seeing high-quality visual stories. Our purpose is to connect the world to the stories that matter.
Our annual contest rewards the best in photojournalism and documentary photography. Our worldwide exhibitions and online channels with over 2 million followers showcase stories that make people stop, think, feel and act.
The World Press Photo Foundation is currently looking for an intern to work with us for up to seven months, July 2023 through January 2024 (some flexibility with start / end dates).
Intern Communications Team
32-40 hours per week (0,8-1 fte) – 7 months
The communications team currently consists of six people who work with the goal of maximizing impact through developing and executing communications strategies to engage our different audiences on photo driven stories that matter to today’s world.
You will help showcase the winning stories and others. Much of this period will focus on recruiting photojournalists and documentary photographers around the world to enter the contest with a special focus on under represented regions. (Our previous contest had 3,752 entrants from 127 countries.)
You will also help champion visual literacy, defend freedom of speech, and promote the multiplicity of voices needing to be heard in our increasingly connected world. And of course you will work on your own projects and objectives.
You will work with a great deal of independence, but with the opportunity to learn from seasoned experts. You will report to our lead on online channels, who started as an intern herself, and be fully integrated into the team. You will learn how to plan, create, publish and improve social media content. This includes working with world class photographers, interacting with interested members of the public, and living up to our commitment to accuracy.
The primary responsibilities are:
- writing and posting content for our social media;
- handling and responding to public inquiries and media requests;
- writing and updating content on the website;
- media, social media and website reporting.
Additional responsibilities include:
- supporting campaign development;
- assisting in the creation and production of creative digital assets;
- helping to manage our database of photos, videos, and international contacts;
- participating in research projects to better understand and connect with our audiences.
- You are enrolled in a Bachelor or Master studies, preferably in media, journalism, communications, marketing and/or social sciences program during the internship;
- You have a passion for and knowledge of social media;
- You have strong writing skills;
- You have some familiarity with major social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter;
- You have some knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign or similar;
- You are fluent in English, both written and spoken;
- You are a self-starter who has the ability to multitask;
- You are a team player, creative, well organized and have a good eye for details;
- You have good interpersonal and intercultural communication skills;
- You have an interest in or knowledge of of photography, media, and visual journalism;
- You are living in or near Amsterdam.
We offer an internship with a variety of tasks and responsibilities in a dynamic working environment. We would like you to start sometime in July 2023 for a period of roughly seven months (there is some flexibility in start/end dates). On average you will work 32-40 hours per week (usually with a minimum of 2 days at the office). We offer a compensation of €500 (net/full-time) per month.
The World Press Photo Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications that can make the organization a better reflection of society.
This position is at the moment only open to EU citizens or individuals with existing valid work permit for the EU. For more info visit: iamsterdam.com/en/study/work-and-study/about-internships
For questions, please contact Andrew Davies (communications director) via firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
Please respond in English by end of day Sunday, 11 June 2023 by filling in the application form, then submit both your CV and a letter of motivation in English as a .pdf document (maximum 2 pages). We will hold interviews the following week.
No profile photos – Please do not include any photos of yourself.
Please also consider sharing this posting with anyone you feel might be a good fit.
Please do not use this advertisement for acquisition purposes.
For more information about the organisation: see our website.