The Royal Academy of Arts, The Hague in The Hague is looking for a Main Subject Teacher Singing for 0.2-0.3 fte | Vacancy for a Paid position, Part-time | Deadline: 14-04-2023
The Royal Conservatoire in The Hague is an internationally renowned institute for education in music and dance. Studying at the Royal Conservatoire means studying at the oldest Conservatoire in the Netherlands with a high commitment to excellence, where internationally renowned musicians and dancers teach, and where tradition and craftsmanship are intertwined with experiment and innovation. The Royal Conservatoire is a centre for education, research, and production: this powerful triangle is the DNA of the institute. The Conservatoire has a strong focus on internationalisation, which is not only demonstrated by a high number of international students and teachers, but also by many international partnerships, various European projects for curriculum development and recognition gained through international accreditations.
To strengthen our Vocal Department from September 2023, we are looking for a
Main Subject Teacher Singing
Who we are
The Vocal Department of the Royal Conservatoire is responsible for the training of both Classical Singing and Early Music Singing. Approximately 65 students study at prepatory, Bachelor and Master level. There is close contact between the two disciplines, both informally and formally. Students participate in projects and activities of both courses.
Our alumni find their way to domestic and foreign opera houses, are active in chamber music and innovative musical theatre, teach and sing with professional choirs and ensembles. The starting point in our education is that the contemporary vocalist is a flexible musician who moves into different style areas, and within various professional contexts.
What we ask
As a main subject teacher, you play a crucial role in the vocal development of students and the development of the department as a whole. Namely:
- You give weekly singing lessons to students in various phases of their development. In addition, you regularly give group lessons;
- You bear responsibility for, and inspire excellent development in both their technical-vocal and artistic/musical level;
- You contribute to a safe and inspiring learning environment that emphasises the student’s responsibility for his/her learning process and their inquisitive and proactive study attitude;
- You take a seat on selection and examination committees and participate in monthly team meetings and other relevant meetings;
- You provide input to the continuous process of curriculum development, responding to current developments in the field.
- You have obtained a completed singing education, preferably at Master level;
- You have extensive experience with, and knowledge of training vocal talents from Bachelor to Master level;
- You have a broad and authoritative experience as a performing musician. (experience with Early Music practice is recommended, but not required);
- You are an inspiring and communicative personality who is generous in sharing knowledge and experience with students and teachers;
- You have an (international) network and are willing to use this for the ambitions and goals of the department;
- You have a good command of the English language, both orally and in writing. Knowledge of the Dutch language is a bonus, but not a necessity;
- You are eager to learn, and willing to follow (additional) training within the framework of the Staff Development Programme of the conservatoire, to participate in the Erasmus exchange programme, and/or the programme of the ICON (Innovative Consrvatoire).
What we offer
An inspiring position in a department in which collaboration and quality go hand in hand. A diverse team in which the expertise of all disciplines involved reinforces each other. A well-facilitated working environment in the new culture and education palace “Amare” in the heart of The Hague. The position is valued in scale 11 of the HBO collective labor agreement. It is a structural function, starting with an annual contract (appointment on a freelance basis as a start is negotiable). The HBO collective labour agreement has a generous leave scheme, 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year allowance. You can also participate in health insurance and/or disability insurance on favorable terms.
Information and application
For more information about the position, please contact Marjolein Niels, head of the vocal department via: firstname.lastname@example.org. We would like to receive your motivation letter and CV – preferably divided into performing and teaching experience – no later than April 14 2023 via email@example.com. The selection, consisting of an introductory meeting and giving two trial lessons, is planned for April 25, 26 or 28 2023. Alternative dates are negotiable for urgent reasons.
Within the Hogeschool der Kunsten we work on a community where diversity
and inclusion form the basis. We want the unique of each individual to be recognized and welcomed. We therefore invite you to apply, we are curious about who you are!
More information about the organisation: see our website.