The Correspondent in Amsterdam zoekt een Editorial Designer voor 38 uur per week | Vacature voor een Betaalde functie, Fulltime | Sluitingsdatum: 10-08-2020
The Correspondent is a platform for collaborative, ad-free and constructive journalism. We don’t chase the latest headlines, but create in-depth stories on important systemic issues such as climate change, artificial intelligence and migration. We do this in collaboration with our members, who are invited to share their knowledge and experience with our correspondents and each other.
We’re looking for an
38 uur per week
Are you a designer who can easily juggle creating clear and innovative infographics, designing sophisticated graphic elements, and choosing the right typography? Is transforming insights into visuals your second nature, while keeping in mind the different devices and platforms they are presented on? Then you might be the versatile, proactive and collaborative designer The Correspondent is looking for.
We’re offering you a full-time job with a competitive salary and benefits, and the necessary equipment to do your work well, such as a company laptop and a desk in our newsroom in the centre of Amsterdam (whenever coronavirus permits it).
Who are you?
- You have experience as a digital designer, you have a journalistic heart and a strong moral compass.
- You are aware of what’s going on in the world, you love to read and enjoy immersing yourself in journalism, at The Correspondent and in other media.
- You are experienced in designing for an editorial context.
- You’re a good communicator, fluent in English.
- Whether it’s an infographic, an Instagram story or a campaign visual: you know how to take journalism to the next level with design and enjoy working on a diversity of projects.
- You are open to feedback, work well with others and like to collaborate with other different disciplines on the editorial team.
- You’re able to be proactive, flexible and work well – and to a high standard – to tight deadlines.
- You have the urge to innovate the role of visual communication in journalism. You have a large frame of reference and are well informed about contemporary developments in the field of design and journalism.
- You are a master of Illustrator and Photoshop and are well acquainted with InDesign and Sketch.
- You are based in Amsterdam or nearby and willing to travel.
What will you do?
Being part of our editorial team means working with dozens of regular and freelance correspondents all over the world. You will be working closely with the rest of the small, but highly motivated editorial team consisting of a copy editor, managing editor, founding editor, conversation editor, member support manager and engagement editor. Last but not least: you will be working very closely with the image editor, and will often collaborate with the creative team at De Correspondent (our Dutch sister organisation).
What will you be working on?
- Creating infographics from start to finish that are insightful, understandable and attractive.
- Making illustrations and graphic elements to accompany or tell stories in order to visualise the message to a wide audience.
- Designing elements for our journalism campaigns that are consistent with our brand identity.
- Visuals for our social media channels, such as Instagram, Twitter and our daily newsletter.
Write to us before August 10, 2020! We’re looking to fill this position by the beginning of September 2020 and by November 1st at the latest.
Meer informatie over de organisatie: zie onze website.